Snort mailing list archives

Re: Syslogging question

From: Matt <matt () bfinity kicks-ass net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:13:37 -0400

# Step #3: Configure output plugins
#
# Uncomment and configure the output plugins you decide to use. General
# configuration for output plugins is of the form:
#
# output <name_of_plugin>: <configuration_options>
#
# alert_syslog: log alerts to syslog
# ----------------------------------
# Use one or more syslog facilities as arguments. Win32 can also optionally
# specify a particular hostname/port. Under Win32, the default hostname is
# '127.0.0.1', and the default port is 514.
#
# [Unix flavours should use this format...]
# output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
#
# [Win32 can use any of these formats...]
# output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
# output alert_syslog: host=localhost, LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
# output alert_syslog: host=hostname:port, LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT

Try this:

output alert_syslog: host=hostname:port, LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT

HTH
Matt

Steve wrote:

Hi,

New to the list, new to Linux, new to Snort, but trying hard!

I have installed Smoothwall Express V2, and I’m having fun setting things up and learning about all these things. But I’m stumped on one thing. I have Kiwi Syslog Daemon running on a w2k3 box receiving syslog messages from Smoothwall and Linux. I’ve changed syslog.conf to accomplish this, adding:

*.* @192.168.0.60

at the end. Now all my Smoothwall logs are happily arriving at Kiwi. But I’d like to get Snort messages there too. I’ve changed snort.conf to uncomment the line:

output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT

but don’t see any Snort messages in syslog. What else do I need to do? I’ve trawled the web and archives but found nothing definitive, only lots of people asking similar questions. Sorry if this has been covered before.

While I’m here, there is one other syslog-related problem, although not with Snort. After Smoothwall boot, it takes about 5 minutes for Kiwi to start receiving anything from Smoothwall, even though Smoothwall in the meantime logs messages.

I have asked these questions on the Smoothwall list, but have received no answers, so hoping someone here can help. Cheers.

*Steve*