Snort mailing list archives

RE: high count, long time in threshold

From: "Marc Norton" <marc.norton () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:03:40 -0400

The rule to catch 1500 syns in 60 seconds is applied to each individual
host that the rule covers - hence the 'track by_src' it does not track
1500 syns in 60 seconds for 'any-ip -> any-ip' in a cumulative fashion.
So unless a specific IP is generating 1500 syns in 60 seconds, this
threshold definition won't allow the rule to fire and be logged. I am
not sure if this helps but I wanted to be clear about the difference in
behavior that you may be seeing.