Snort mailing list archives

RE: Multiple sensors/interfaces, same daemon

From: "Murray, Todd" <Todd.Murray () adidasus com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:07:59 -0700

The easiest way to do it is to just run separate processes.

/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.eth0.conf -ieth0 -u snort -g snort
-D
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.eth1.conf -ieth1 -u snort -g snort
-D

This way I can keep each sensor running completely separate of the other.
If you want them to have them use 1 config just make sure to set HOME_NET to
include the networks for both interfaces.

var HOME_NET [10.1.1.0/24,24.57.12.0/24]

Just remember that unless you specify the interface it will assume "any".
I've found its much better to isolate snort as a non-privledged user/group
and manage each interface as a separate sensor under separate processes.