Snort mailing list archives

Re: fees and such for IDS consultants

From: jeffs () speakeasy net
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:12:13 +0000

And why not?  Are people in this group that narrowly focused on their vision that knowing what going rates are for a
type of service is considered taboo or blasphemy?  I presume that whatever yo do in life you do it for free?  I for one
am doing a survey on open source tools and how they might be enhanced through studies on human computer interaction --
a field in which the open source community has been lacking.  I am a great proponent of open source and recommend its
use throughout my travels.  I am, however also, a realist and recognize some of its drawbacks.  Getting a grip on how
much money (is that word so dirty to you?) a consultant in the open source field of intrusion detection earns (is that
another dirty word for you?) can bring into focus some areas in which certain studies of human computer interaction
might benefit.

Or perhaps you're happy to have open source remain the soy bacon of the digital landscape forever?

So, what kind of questions, then, are "wanted" in this forum?  Or would you prefer it to be a "closed society" of
techno-nerds without any understanding of how their work relates to commerce?  Or is "commerce" a dirty word for you,
too?

'nuff said.