Snort mailing list archives

Re: Smb output

From: Nerijus Krukauskas <nk99 () delfi lt>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:43:54 +0300

Frank Knobbe wrote:
On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 17:13, Michael Sconzo wrote:
Ok, if you re-wrote smbclient (or at least the part that does the
WinPopUp stuff),

No, no. I'm saying don't use smbclient at all. Have Snort populate a UDP
packet and send it out.

  That could be an option. But...

Then that gets into duplicating work etc ... but if you or somebody
else does it, I wouldn't complain either, and would probably use it.

Heh... I don't even have much time at the moment to work on Snortsam. :(
And since I don't use the SMB alert, there is no incentive for me
either. Speaking of Snortsam, I'm doing something very similar there.

...no one is interested in rewriting this.

And one more thing. How many WinPopUp windows you gonna find after you've been out for just one hour (e.g. having lunch)? Personally I wouldn't want to deal with several hundred open windows at once. :)

--
http://nk.tinkle.lt/

The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful. -- Mark Twain.