Snort mailing list archives

Re: Smb output

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:55:25 -0500

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:24, Michael Sconzo wrote:
The slow(er) part is having the nmblookup take IP -> NetBIOS name
then using that with smbclient to generate the WinPopUp message.
Maybe I'm doing it a broken way...that's what I have now tho.

So you lose 'time' by calling multiple external programs and waiting
for them to return.

As I said, looks like the output plugin could be optimized where the
admin supplies not only the IP address but also the NetBIOS name of the
system to be contacted. All Snort would need to do is populate a UDP
packet and throw it on the wire (without calling smbclient).

Regards,
Frank