Snort mailing list archives

Re: Remote syslogging of snort

From: sekure <sekure () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:14:54 -0400

http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node20.html

What you want is: alert_syslog: LOG_LOCAL1 LOG_DEBUG

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:37:53 -0500, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:
I'm trying to set up snort to do remote sysloging.  So I put this line in
the snort.conf file:

output alert_syslog: local1.debug

But when I restart snort, I get this error message in /var/log/messages:

WARNING /usr/local/etc/snort.conf (419) => Unrecognized syslog
facility/priority: local1.debug

Does snort not recognize the local logging facilities?  Or do I have a
syntax error?

(/etc/syslog.conf reads "local1.debug    @{sysloghost}

Sysloghost /etc/syslog.conf reads "local1.debug     /var/log/snort.log)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member