Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort in a cluster

From: "Williams Jon" <WilliamsJonathan () JohnDeere com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:45:18 -0500

I'm glad to hear someone else is doing this.  I was at a conference and
talking with the Sourcefire tech guy, and when I mentioned that we were
doing this, he looked at me as if I'd just stepped off a spaceship.
Even after I'd explained what we were doing (i.e. better performance of
any any -> any any rules, stripping out sections of aggregated taps,
etc.), he still didn't seem to grasp that someone would want to do this.
<shakes head>

It does work quite well, though.  I've got three individual boxes that
are each monitoring 80-90 mbps sustained, the traffic coming from 40 or
50 ethernet taps.  Much cheaper than buying one computer for each tap or
mucking about with multiple interfaces in a single box.

Jon