Snort mailing list archives

[snort-users] Blocking with a PIX

From: d.deboni () edexter it
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 15:44:52 +0200

Hi to everyone,

I've configured snort with snortsam to block attacks from the outside.
It worked all perfectly when I tried it on a Cisco Router.

But now I need to do that with a Cisco PIX.

Here's the snortsam.conf file:

accept 127.0.0.1
pix <PIXIP> <TELNETPASSWORD> <ENABLEPASSWORD>

When I try to launch both snort and snortsam I see these messages, and it
seems that snortsam is applying the rules on the pix:

Checking for existing state file: Present. Reading State
Starting to listen for Snort alerts.
Accepted connection from 127.0.0.1
Accepted connection from 127.0.0.1
Adding sensor 127.0.0.1 to list.
Blocking host <IP> completely for 7200 seconds
Accepted connection from 127.0.0.1
Blocking host <IP> completely for 7200 seconds
Accepted connection from 127.0.0.1
Blocking host <IP> completely for 7200 seconds

and so on...

By the way if I look at the Pix configuration there are no rules applied.
I know that the PIX Plugin use the shun command to block IP, and if i try
it manually on the Pix it works.

I've tried to disable telnet for the Snort/Snortsam server on the Pix to
see if Snortsam works anyway. If I do that SnortSam says it can't connect
to Pix.
So it seems that SnortSam "works"....

Thanks for help

Davide De Boni