Snort mailing list archives

RE: Getting more paranoid by the minute. :-/

From: "Romulo M. Cholewa" <rmc () rmc eti br>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:50:18 -0300

As Paul mentioned, paranoia is a good thing ;D

But keep in mind that snort won't "protect" your customer. It will help
in that effort. It's a tool, like many others, that, if properly set up,
will do a small amount of things that when put together with other
tools, will help you build up a secure environment.

I would like to suggest that you look at the security as a process, not
as a bunch of tools. Maybe I didn't interpret correctly your phrase, but
the idea behind the...

"It's important that I do it right, or their customer's sensitive data
will be compromised"

... seems like you are relying on snort for the task. I won't go further
this way, but I would like to recommend Schneier's book, Digital
Security in a Networked World.

If you were hired to employ *only* snort sensors, you can't think that
only the sensors will keep the potential risk out of the network. It
will only warn you, if properly configured, when someone attempts to
brake in. Concerning to deploying an IDS, keep in mind that reducing the
number of false alerts is a nice goal to pursue.

Also, try to work as close as possible to the guys doing the system
hardening and implementation. They can tell you what are their goals, so
you can screen the snort setup better.

Romulo M. cholewa
Home: http://www.rmc.eti.br
News: http://www.rmc.eti.br/news