Snort mailing list archives

Re: setting threshold for snort signatures

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:10:46 -0400

At 08:40 AM 4/15/2004, agnelo d wrote:
     I need to set thresholds for snort rules.
The parameters are:

gen_id  gen-id  <------ what is this gen-id
sig_id  sig-id
type    limit, threshold, both
track   by_src, by_dst
count   n
seconds m

Pls. can someone tell me what is this gen-id.

Generator ID.. It's the first number in the alert lines generated by snort.

For rules it's always 1. Alerts generated by preprocessors have other numbers.

For example:
[1:1070:6] WEB-MISC WebDAV search access [**]

The bracketed numbers are [generator:SID:revison] for normal rules.

If you read gen-msg.map you can find generator:SID combinations for the preprocessors.

ie: in 2.1.0 stream4 is generator 111. and [111:1:*] is "spp_stream4: Stealth Activity Detected"