Snort mailing list archives

Re: RE: Network Behaviour Anomoly Detection

From: security () jonbaer net
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:23:15 -0400

I personally dont think you should overload Snort w/ the job of what other applications should be
accomplishing.  It just doesn't make sense.  The probe stuff is already handled ...

The area in which I think you refer to and I had tried to implement was more in regards to application
error handling ... for example if you place a MySQL server into a production environment you have a
strict policy that certain errors should "just not happen" once it is there.  Login attempts, SQL out of
bounds, response flags, things of that nature.  You can take one application and "wrap" Snort around it
if you are good with rules, so the idea is some type of Snort Application Policy Creator or something.

This would obviously adhere to items such as buffer overflows but Snort already handles pretty much
common items being handed off over open ports anyways.  I think this really falls more into "Advanced
Snort Tuning" just with better or easier tools for management.  I have not seen RNA/SF stuff but Im sure
some type of that methodology applies with the product somewhere.

- Jon