Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort invented by the NSA?

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:48:10 -0500

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 13:08, Keith W. McCammon wrote:
I'll be brief: I just came across an article on Gazette.com stating that
the NSA invented Snort.  My original DC SUG post/thread can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/2t7gy.  The Gazette article (directly) can be found
at http://tinyurl.com/273qh

I knew it! Marty is just a front-man for the NSA. Actually, all Snort
developers are spooks. Brian is from the CIA. He earned his nickname
Cuts-well during special ops, and later adopted it to Caswell...

... Where is my tin-foil hat?

But seriously... perhaps they meant to say Shadow instead of Snort.
AFAIR, it was co-developed by the NSA, and it's an IDS. Both start with
an S, so maybe they got confused :)

Cheers,
Frank