Snort mailing list archives

RE: Help please: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared.. .

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:06:58 -0400

At 11:44 AM 6/15/2004, Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor wrote:
I do not have a ld.so.conf in my /etc directory? In fact I don't have that file anywhere - yet my snort installed correctly and so did my pcre??

That's strange Krisa.. What kind of OS are you running? What loader are you using?

It's possible you're using some kind of archaic version of *NIX that's got a hard-coded loader path and the loader cannot be configured.

It's also possible that you're using some other loader other than GNU ld, in which case the name of the config file for it may be different.

This is all stuff that's specific to the OS you run.

However, if your PCRE winds up in a path your loader already knows to use, you don't need to change anything. Most of the time the failure to load a library results from someone installing a library in /usr/local/lib on a machine that's configured to only look in /lib and /usr/lib for libraries.