Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple instances of snort on a bonded interface

From: Miles Stevenson <miles () mstevenson org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:45:16 -0400

On Thursday 10 June 2004 05:51 pm, Corey Rock wrote:

Now, what you seem to really be asking is how to get snort to dump a binary
pcap file.  You can tell snort (in snort.conf) to log to mysql and to a
binary pcap file, without having to run another instance of snort

Thanks for the advice. I aplogize for not detailing my question enough. I was
actually hoping to run 2 different instances of snort. Each with different
signature configurations. I have separate snort.conf files setup for each
instance. Still can't get the 2nd one to capture traffic. Maybe I'll have a
chance to play with Snot and try to generate specific alerts on the other
instance. But this is on a production LAN, so I may not get the chance. =(

But you are right in the end. If I can't get this to work, I'm just going to
have to bite the bullet and have one instance log in both formats.

--
Miles Stevenson
miles () mstevenson org