Snort mailing list archives

RE: Multiple instances of snort on a bonded interface

From: "Corey Rock" <snort_sigs () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:51:38 +0000

I don't run multiple instances of snort on the same machine, but I do run snort and tcpdump and idabench on the same sensor (s)

they run fine.  Tcpdump captures the packets I want, snort does too....

what you're basically asking is if running applications, putting the NIC in promiscuous mode (in order to sniff), can access pcap and the NIC @ the same time.

the answer is yes, most defiintely, on the Linux platform.

Now, what you seem to really be asking is how to get snort to dump a binary pcap file. You can tell snort (in snort.conf) to log to mysql and to a binary pcap file, without having to run another instance of snort

Corey