Snort mailing list archives

flowbits together with stream4_reassemble question

From: "Per Kristian Johnsen" <pkjohnse () start no>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:57:57 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to write a set of signatures for detecting mass-mailing activity.
The sigs are depending on each other by using the flowbits option to keep
track of the state in the SMTP protocol. I'm also using the preprocessor
stream4_reassemble for port 25, and here's where my problems begins:

Only the first sig in my state-based signature set will ever trigger, and I
think this is caused by the stream4_reassemble preprosessor making one big
"pseudo-packet" that is exposed to the signature set only once. Does my
assumptions make sense? Anyone else having problems with combining the
flowbits functionality with the stream4_reassemble preprosessor?

Regards,
Per Kristian