Snort mailing list archives

Re: Taps, Rx Only Cables & Hubs - Which one(s)?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:58:46 -0400

At 09:49 AM 6/8/2004, Jim Richards wrote:
I made my own tap via:  http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/

It says it can be used on any hub or switch and any OS. But, I get no link on the Snort box and no data coming in. According to the mail list archives, I need to add the Rx only cable...after diagraming it out with the tap, basically it would mean just tying pins 1&2 on the Snort NIC together:

No, you don't need a Rx only cable with the TAP... however, you MUST have two connections to in from your snort box, or you won't get link.

Firewall ------  Tap  -------  Switch to Network

                  Snort

Really that picture should look like

Firewall ------  Tap  -------  Switch to Network
                    | |
                  Snort

where there are two cables coming to snort from the tap. See the "tap A" and "tap B" ports? that's not two taps.. that's one tap. After all, how can one passively tap full-duplex 100mbit/sec traffic with one port?

The tap works in such a way that "Tap A" sees all the traffic from the firewall side, "Tap B" sees all the traffic from the switch side. Feed them into separate NICs in your snort box, and use bonding to bond the two nics into a single virtual interface that snort can sniff.