Snort mailing list archives

Re: AW: Snort& Intrusion Prevention

From: Ravi Kumar <ravivsn () rocsys com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:49:20 +0530

Snort does not work as Inline IDS. And Flexresp is not inline technology. Flexresp just sends TCP resets for TCP connections and ICMP Destination
unreachable for UDP packets to block.
Since snort takes packets in promiscous mode, it cant act as Inline Therefore we have snort_inline , an Inline NIDS based on snort. It takes packets using libipq. Libipq is a library which transfers packets to Userspace using ip_queue module. Since this involves netfilter , you can send verdict to drop or accept or stolen etc., Thus every packet must
pass thro snort_inline engine.

Cheers,
-Ravi
ROCSYS Technologies Ltd