Snort mailing list archives

Excluding IPs in HOME_NET?

From: "Paul Martin" <pmartin () hgvc com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:01:59 -0400

I've been wrestling with this for a few days, with little success.  I
currently have my HOME_NET variable set to our internal network (Class
B):

var HOME_NET X.X.0.0/16

However, there are a few IP addresses that we will be doing testing
from, and I don't want Snort to pay any attention to these machines.  I
have tried to redo the HOME_NET variable like -

var HOME_NET [X.X.0.0/16,!X.X.Y.0/24]  -  to no avail
var HOME_NET [X.X.Y.A, X.X.Y.B, X.X.Y.C]  -  didn't work either

I don't want to run multiple instances of Snort or any other workarounds
like that, I just want Snort to globally ignore traffic coming from a
few specific IP addresses.  Has anyone successfully managed to get this
working?

Paul Martin
Network Technician
Hilton Grand Vacations Co.