Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert classification and priority

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:29:14 +0200

Hi Gary,

I was looking for something more in the way of threshold.conf where I
could change the priorities without changing the rule files, so that
upgrading to new rules doesn't reset them back to default priority values.
 The way I see it, the rule files should not be changed, any local
customizations should be done via instance-specific files, like
snort.conf, threshold.conf, local.rules, etc.

but the rules file are part of snort.conf, they are simply included...

Even barnyard does not check for a changed priority of a rule and
will still use the old prioity.

As far as I understand, unified plugin just writes out the event with all
the relevant info and barnyard looks at classification.config and
determines the priority.  So one way to achieve what I am trying to do
with barnyard (i am focusing on it because that's what I am using) would
be to create a different classification type with a different priority and
then use that classification type in my rules.  Barnyard then should
(should being the keyword, i haven't tried this) log the correct
classtype/priority to the database.  But again, this requires me to change
the rules files.  What I want is a priority.config file where I can
override the default priority by saying something along the lines of:

gen_id 1, sig_id 555, priority 3

Ok, it is a little bit confusing. You want to first check the rules
file to find the sig_id and then change this via a different config
rule? Won't it be much easier to change it directly with the rule?

(Even if you updates your rules you should still check if they
make sense, or?)

BTW: Why don't you use a small perl script to add the priority
based on you priority.config file? This is not really difficult
to code.

However, the database output plugin used for acid does take the
priority directly from the event structure, so it gets the priority
via the unified output plugin, not via the classification file.

Next step is to check if the signature is already in the database:

    snprintf(sql_buffer, MAX_QUERY_SIZE,
            "SELECT sig_id FROM signature WHERE sig_name='%s' AND sig_rev=%u "
            "AND sig_sid=%u", e_message, rev, sid) < MAX_QUERY_SIZE)

So here is no check for the priority or even the classification.
If there is such a signature with an old, different priority then
this priority will be related to this alert.

If you change the priority in between then the database will still
return the old priority...

Best regards

Dirk