Snort mailing list archives

Re: updating snort rules with oinkmaster

From: Andreas Östling <andreaso () it su se>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:11:09 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

To answer your question, there is currently no
I-modified-this-rule-so-never-auto-update-it-again feature.
I tried to explain this in the FAQ
(Q16/A16 at http://oinkmaster.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml).

My experience is that such a feature can very easily give you lots of
rules that simply don't get maintained anymore just because you once
modified some detail in them (which you usually forget or don't care about
after a while).

When using Oinkmaster you could always put heavily customized rules in
some local rules file and then disable the original rule. For minor tweaks
(such as modifying the priority) I prefer to use 'modifysid' to apply the
modification after each rules update instead. This way, if the
official/original rule gets updated, you still get the new version of the
rule while your tweak would still be applied (as long as the regexp still
matches of course, but you will get a warning if it doesn't). Another
important point is that this is kind of self-documenting, and the
modifysid stuff will hopefully be much easier in 1.1 as well.

The feature you asked about could probably be implemented but I never
cared to do it as I wouldn't use it myself. But of course, these are just
my personal opinions so any suggestions/patches are always appreciated.

/Andreas