Snort mailing list archives

Re: updating snort rules with oinkmaster

From: "John J. Nagro" <jnagro () ccs neu edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:46:59 -0400

On 02.Jun.2004 04:16PM +0200, Pascal.Dubach () swisscom com wrote:

oinkmaster actually lets you define the changes you want to
make. as the rules get updated oinkmaster applies your changes,
thus nothing is lost. find the oinkmaster website (listed in the
download page for oinkmaster on snort.org) and get the newest
version (1.0). untar it and read the sample config file that
comes with it, that explains how to enable/disable and modify
rules on the fly as they get updated.

-John

Hello,

I am trying to update my snort rules, and this works fine.
But I have changed the priorities of some rules in some rule-files.
If I just update all the snort rules, the customized ones will be
overwritten.
Is there any possibility not to update these rules? If I just disable
the sid, the rules wouldn't be active anymore, but I want to log the
alerts on
the server, so they have to be active.

thx and Kind Regards,
Pascal