Snort mailing list archives

Snort Installation on Win2K problems

From: geomax <gw091 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:56:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

We're new to Snort and are trying to implement Snort as part of our IDS at our company.

We want to install Snort on a Win2K box, using IDSCenter RC4 as the front end. However, after install, any
configuration change made via IDSCenter causes the Snort service to fails to start.

The Win2K box is 2000 Professional, SP4. Snort is version 2_1_2, installed WinPcap 2.3

The error message displayed is:

Error: D:\Snort\etc\snort.conf(246) => Invalid keyword 'preprocessor' for 'global' configuration. Fatal error,
Quitting...

I read the FAQ, and section 5.5 (How to start Snort as a Win32 service) states that paths need to be set up from from
the command line. Can similar parameters be added to the Snorter service as well?

When the service fails, in IDSCenter, in the Overview console, you can view the message that the service has failed to
start, and this Snort command line is displayed:

C:\SNORT\bin\snort.exe -c "C:\SNORT\etc\snort.conf" -l "C:\SNORT\log"

...but can't be modified. How do I? Is this string correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions about what is causing this error??

Thanks!

George