Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort and high performance networks

From: "Rafael Ortega" <rafael.ortega () telecarrier com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:41:15 -0500

Hello, All

I'm currently snorting close to 800Mbps with no problem.  What to do with
the amount of info, is another story.  I tried ACID, but after 24 hours and
700,000 events registered, the data base becomes too slow, even after
indexing certain reference fields.

I've taken to log into syslog in a separate file, and use snortalog nightly
to generate reports from it.  I still use Barnyard/ACID, but clean the
database every 24 hours.  I use it mostly to get quick snapshots of current
events.

I'm waiting for the company's DB people to give me a hand. Maybe migrate
from Mysql to something more efficient or update the hardware (Sun Netra T1
with 512MB RAM doing only the DB).

The sniffer is an Intel Xeon 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM running only snort and
barnyard.