Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort and high performance networks

From: SN ORT <snort_on_acid () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:14:17 -0700 (PDT)

Are you guys ACTUALLY running traffic at 800Mbps or
even 2-3 Gbps? I mean what application or server
process that much data on the line? This dood stated
he had an OC-whatever pumping 30Gbps, and Chad asked a
very appropriate question as to how on earth anyone
would Snort that line short of buying a machine with
an OC-3 $$ (CHA-CHING!) interface stuck in it. Most
people would use Sniffer with a WAN interface and
network fiber taps to get "quick snapshots".

Back to the 3-4Gbps line, you have 10Gbps interfaces
deployed already? How exactly are you seeing 3-4Gbps
traffic, and is it steady and what applications use
that? I mean most switches see that kind of total
backbone traffic and you can actually use switch-based
IDS (like the one from Cisco)...unless of course you
have a 10Gbps backbone, but to where does that much
traffic travel?

Cheese!

Marc

Message: 1