Snort mailing list archives

RE: How to Triggering Windows Exploits?

From: "Alan" <ids () san rr com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 00:02:05 -0700

James,

Let me see if I have this correct... If flow: to_server, established is part
of a rule and there is a service allowing this establishment (http, ftp,
SQL...etc) then I should see an alerts trigger regardless if I have a system
that can be affected such as your example with Apache and triggering IIS
alerts (Apache is advertising http port 80 allowing the established session
then Snort detects the IIS exploit and sends me an alert). I think the key
to this is the flow: to_server, established part of the rule. It now makes
total sense if I have this all correct.

Thanks!

Alan

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.

Linus (torvalds () kruuna helsinki fi)