Snort mailing list archives

RE: RE: How to Triggering Windows Exploits?

From: "Alan" <ids () san rr com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 23:43:41 -0700

Rob,

        Thank you for your reply!

This is what I was looking for. I apologize for my noobness on rules. I
haven't gotten too writing rules yet but hopefully I'll learn that in the
future. A quick question. Concerning the two included generic rules you
include on the bottom of the email...because those rules aren't looking for
any particular signature within the packet any packets either establishing a
session on port 445 in the case of the first rule or any packet hitting port
445 on the second rule would trigger an alert correct? Also what is the
reasoning in including flow: to_server, established in rules? Thanks in
advance!

Alan

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.

Linus (torvalds () kruuna helsinki fi)