Snort mailing list archives

Re: Block

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:46:48 -0600

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 16:23, Paul Schmehl wrote:
I would like to add a caution to this.  If you are going to use clamav, do
not depend on it as your only gateway defense.  Use it as part of a more
complete strategy.  Recent testing by an authoritative source shows that
clamav only catches about 50% of the in-the-wild viruses.  (This is really
off topic for snort, so if you want to discuss the details, email me off
list.)

Uhm, I'm not sure about that, Paul. I've heard from folks that caught
new viruses with Clamav before Norton got it. Matter the fact, just
recently there was a posting somewhere (I'm sure you've seen that since
you are on most lists) that showed that clamav had a signature for it
first.

I have nothing but pleasant experience with clamav. I can't believe how
well it works for being OpenSource.

Cheers,
Frank