Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS server keeps communicating with Darkprofits.net and darkprofits.com

From: Ben Nelson <venom () venom600 org>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:43:49 -0700

Marlon.Richards () Windalco com wrote:

Hi guys. I know this is the SNORT mailing list but i am just wondering
if i could get some help here.
You're right, you'd be better off asking this on a security mailing list, or better yet...on the BIND mailing list.

I found that my DNS server is being asked to
make numerous resolutions of darkprofits.com and darkrpofits.net. None of
my internal clients are making these requests. My Sniffer shows me that the
requests are being made from outside my network and that my DNS server is
making a request for this domain to external hosts. Does anyone know where
this may be coming from and how to stop it?

You probably shouldn't be allowing recursive DNS queries from hosts that you don't control.....just good security best practice. Allow your internal clients the ability to do recursive queries and keep external hosts' queries limited to domains that you are authoritative for. You can do this in BIND with the 'allow-recursion' option. Example:

If your network is 192.168.123.0/24

In your named.conf file, put something like:
acl recursive-clients{ 192.168.123.0/24; };
options {
    allow-recursion{ recursive-clients; };
};

That oughta' keep external folks from abusing your nameserver.

--Ben