Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS server keeps communicating with Darkprofits.net and darkprofits.com

From: Sean Lazar <slazar () cruzio com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:47:03 -0800

In general your DNS servers should not serve domains other than those they are authoritative for.

If you are using Bind (eight and above?) you can use the allow recursion option to limit recursion to friendly ip addresses. For example:

acl our-nets { XXX.XXX.XXX.0/24; };
options {
   allow-recursion { our-nets; };
}

Upgrading the latest BIND version is strongly recommended.
bind reference manual: http://www.nominum.com/content/documents/bind9arm.pdf

Marlon.Richards () Windalco com wrote:

Hi guys. I know this is the SNORT mailing list but i am just wondering
if i could get some help here. I found that my DNS server is being asked to
make numerous resolutions of darkprofits.com and darkrpofits.net. None of
my internal clients are making these requests. My Sniffer shows me that the
requests are being made from outside my network and that my DNS server is
making a request for this domain to external hosts. Does anyone know where
this may be coming from and how to stop it?

Marlon Richards
Communications Engineer
West Indies Alumina Company
Kirkvine Works