Snort mailing list archives

[REPOST] Snort not loging on MySql

From: "Di Fresco Marco" <superdif () ciaoweb it>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:20:20 -0800

Hi all,
I am re-sending this message because in the previous attempts I used
a different e-mail address from the one I using to be subscribed to
the list. So to the moderators: please disregard the previous e-mails
and forgive me.

I temporarily solved my previous problem ("Device didn't translate")
by setting in snort.conf the HOME_NET to my real IP address instead
of using (\Device\NPF_{18...3C}). At the moment Snort works, but I
have another problem.

Basically the problem is that Snort does not log on my MySql server.
I checked the archives of this ML and I also done a search on Google,
but the only two solutions I found were to try to drop the snort
database and recreate it, or to check the perimission of the snort
user to make sure it can write to the snort database; I tried both
solutions and they did not work (the implementation of the solutions
worked, but Snort still does not log).

Here my environment:
WinXP Pro. (full patched)
Snort 2.1.0
MySql 4.0.17
(all three software on the same standalone machine).

Here an extract of my snort.conf:
var HOME_NET [My IP address]
var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET
var SQL_SERVERS $HOME_NET
output database: log, mysql, user=snort@localhost
password=SNORTPASWORD dbname=snort host=localhost encoding=ascii
detail=full ignore_dbf=0
(all in one line)

For the part (of snort.conf) where all the rules are listed, I
changed the path from relative ($RULE_PATH\) to absoulute
(D:\Snort\rules\).

And here is the syntax I use to launc Snort: D:\Snort\bin\snort.exe
- -c "D:\snort\etc\snort.conf" -l "D:\snort\Log" - -A full -i 1 -I -d
- -e -X
(all in one line)

Any suggestion?

Thank in advance.