Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort MySQL problem

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:49:42 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net] On Behalf Of
Neil Fryer
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 6:48 AM
To: 'Ing. Fernando D. Crespo'
Cc: Snort (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort MySQL problem

Hi,

All working now, thank you.

Not quite, it would appear.

Here's what I did:
[snip]
- modified the database connection properties in snort.con to
use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost

This means that your OS isn't resolving localhost, which it should do.
I don't know what OS you're using, but there is usually a conf file in
/etc (usually "hosts") that allows you to define 127.0.0.1 as localhost,
and you should definitely do that.  Since you mention /etc/init.d/ I'm
going to assume you're using some form of Linux.  You should have a
hosts file in /etc with the following line in it:

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.{domain} (where {domain} is
whatever domain you are in.

For example, my RedHat box has:

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.utdallas.edu

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member