Snort mailing list archives

I have deleted the file /var/log/snort/alert and i dont see snort writing on it now.

From: soldier Mx <soldi3rmx () yahoo com mx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 02:05:17 -0600 (CST)

Hello!
im here again with problems and..
as i was seeing that the /var is growing and i decided
to delete the "alert" file..
rm -rf alert on the directory of /var/log/snort/ . but
now
Snort is not writing on the files of alert, i have
made one file with nano called "alert"  but i dont see
that snort is writing in the file. But snort
does write to the file of portscan.log scan.log when
there is a Port-scan and loggin, also the ips that
make something, but the file alert is not getting
anything..
look! :(

drwx------    2 snort    snort        4096 Dec 26
14:24 239.255.255.250
drwx------    2 snort    snort        4096 Jan  1
21:48 66.196.65.35
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            1 Jan  2
01:18 alert
-rw-------    1 root     root       513763 Jan  2
01:20 portscan.log

the alert file is with 1 byte..

i dont know what to do!!?
besides what can i have to do if i wanna deleted some
logs that im not using anymore, because /var grows
really faster in a week! or two weeks!.

** Other thing
I wanna upgrade snort 2.0.0 -> 2.0.5 im using gentoo,
the upgrade will delete all the custom configurations
that i have made, files, confs, rules ??
or they will be there..
heh.

well thanks for everything, sorry for my english.

Thanks from mexico!
BYE