Snort mailing list archives

Re: https and http_inspect gives *many* false positives

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:39:38 -0500

Jason Haar wrote:

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 12:48, Edward van der Jagt wrote:

But I still would like to know if something unwanted is travelling
through
my proxy servers. If http_inspect is disabled for port 80, non-HTTPS
requests
will then be missed by the preprocessor. So if someone is attacking a
server,
internal (WAN) or external (Internet) by using some url based attack
which
http_inspect should detect, this url request will be made through the
proxy
(firewalls block direct access). Disabling the preprocessor is therefore
not a desirable option.

All that only applies to internal attackers - correct? I mean your proxy
server is only accessible by internal users isn't it? So do you really
want to put up with this problem and the LARGE number of false positives
you WILL see just so that you can discover if an internal user is
attempting to break a Web server via your proxy? [I'm not saying that's
a bad thing - it's just that most IDS people are only interested in
external baddies - not internal]

Anyway, as this is a preprocessor, I think you're out of luck. If these
alerts were caused by "alert" rules, you could simply put a "pass" rule
above them saying something like "ignore port 80 connections starting
with the string CONNECT" - which would cause HTTPS proxied queries to be
ignored, and the rest to be still analysed. However, as this is a
preprocessor, such logic does not apply.

have a look at

http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node19.html

suppress gen_id 119, sig_id 1, track by_dst, ip [private_proxy_ip/32]
suppress gen_id 119, sig_id 2, track by_dst, ip [private_proxy_ip/32]
suppress gen_id 119, sig_id 3, track by_dst, ip [private_proxy_ip/32]

You would be ignoring events from internal clients to your proxy server but anything destined for the public address as a dst would still alert, you should still catch the questionable requests passed by the proxy to the internet or internal servers. Likewise, you could ignore them with a src of your local net and only see items from off net or your public address for the proxy. It is not a perfect solution but better then nothing. You should also look at using inspect_uri_only, it may be appropriate for this proxy server.