Snort mailing list archives

Re: https and http_inspect gives *many* false positives

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:20:42 +1300

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 12:06, Edward van der Jagt wrote:
After enabling http_inspect and http_inspect_server I'm getting loads of
events in my database (bare byte, non-rfc, U encoding, double decoding).
Further inspection and testing shows that this is caused by HTTPS
traffic
between workstations and the WAN (or Internet) going through the proxy
servers
working on port 80.

What should I change to get rid of these false positives ?

Tricky. You're not really meant to run proxy servers on port 80. Squid
defaults to 3128, M$ Proxy 8080, etc.

As you are running a proxy server on port 80, then such things as
HTTPS-CONNECT methods will indeed cause a lot of grief.

How about using "http_inspect_server: server 1.1.1.1" for your proxy's
IP address and tell sort it has a web server on some unused port such as
port 88 or the like. i.e. it will disable http_inspect for port 80
traffic.

Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417