Snort mailing list archives

Re: Technically speaking

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:50:22 -0500

At 07:10 AM 3/31/2004, G DINESH wrote:
hi i m dinesh,

<snip>

I m not able to make up which file
takes up the rules and constructs the tree, and checks
the validation of the rules.
are separate trees constructed for TCP,UDP,ICMP?
how is the matching done ?

Do u have any simple solution for me.

Simple? No.. snort isn't simple, but I can give you some direction.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a snort devel, and am only very casualy familiar with the snort code from a short amount of time spent skimming it.

I'd suggest first reading through parser.c. That is what builds the trees from the rules in the first place.

Then got to detect.c and find the function:
        int Detect(Packet * p)

The detection process will eventually wind up calling many functions contained in the various files of the detection-plugins subdir. These functions do a lot of the "grunt work" of detecting a match between a packet and a given node.

One more thing i would like to ask is abt the LOGO of
snort.Why the name "snort" and

Because there are two sounds a pig makes commonly referred to in English.. they squeal, and they snort.