Snort mailing list archives

global threshold quesiton

From: David Wilburn <bug () gecko roadtoad net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 04:44:44 -0800

Quick question regarding global thresholds.  Consider the following:

threshold gen_id 1, sig_id 0, type limit, track by_src, count 1, seconds 60

Does this specify that each given host can only trigger one alert per
minute, or that each given host can only trigger one alert per rule
per minute?  If it is the former, how can I achieve the latter instead?

I am trying to avoid a situation in which a worm, autorooter, or
rapid-working human attacker were able to use scan or chaff traffic
to prevent the logging of more important attack rules.

-Dave Wilburn