Snort mailing list archives

Re: HOME_NET var on snort.conf

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:55:06 -0600

--On Monday, March 22, 2004 2:00 AM +0000 pfeito <pfeito () netcabo pt> wrote:

Hi!

 In snort.conf, I have HOME_NET var set like this:

var HOME_NET $eth1_ADDRESS

I start snort, but it does not start. In /var/log/messages I get the
following information:

Mar 22 01:44:01 snortbox snort: FATAL ERROR: Undefined variable name:
(/etc/snort/snort.conf:46): eth1_ADDRESS
Mar 22 01:44:01 snortbox kernel: device eth1 left promiscuous mode

I have to set the IP address of the box manually, but this IP address is
assigned by my ISP, so it would be much better if "var HOME_NET
$eth1_ADDRESS" method worked!

Why? $HOME_NET represents the IP address(es) that are inside your network. eth1 is your network card, *not* your IP address. You need to make $HOME_NET your IP address.

I assume your ISP is assigning your address dynamically, it changes periodically, and that's why you're trying to do what you're doing. I don't know of a good solution for that. You will probably have to edit the IP address for $HOME_NET before starting snort.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member