Snort mailing list archives

problem with ACID (portscan)

From: Maxim <cineklas () wp pl>
Date: 17 Mar 2004 19:37:08 +0100

Hi all,

I installed Snort Version 2.1.1 (Build 24) to work with
ACID. Everything works fine but when I start ACID it shows
me that there is no Portscan Traffic (0%). I added line
to snort.conf file:

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 /var/log/snort/portscan.log

and it seems that snort logs new scan attempts to this file:

Mar 17 18:53:25 192.168.0.4:1038 -> 192.168.0.5:13 SYN ******S*

Mar 17 18:53:25 192.168.0.4:1039 -> 192.168.0.5:14 SYN ******S*

Mar 17 18:53:25 192.168.0.4:1040 -> 192.168.0.5:15 SYN ******S*

Mar 17 18:53:25 192.168.0.4:1041 -> 192.168.0.5:16 SYN ******S*

Mar 17 18:53:25 192.168.0.4:1042 -> 192.168.0.5:17 SYN ******S*

Snort also adds logs to alert file:

[**] [100:2:1] spp_portscan: portscan status from 192.168.0.4: 94
connections across 1 hosts: TCP(94), UDP(0) [**]
03/17-19:12:28.025191

I added line to my acid_conf.php file:

$portscan_file = "/var/log/snort/portscan.log"; so I think it should
work, but it doesn`t.

What am I doing wrong?

I don`t know if it`s important but I added also few preprocessors:

preprocessor flow: stats_interval 0 hash 2
preprocessor stream4: detect_scans detect_state_problems
preprocessor flow-portscan

Output:

output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=xxxx dbname=snort
host=localhost
output alert_unified: filename snort.alert, limit 128