Snort mailing list archives

Some please help me..

From: pctech2000 () juno com
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:27:56 GMT

  Being a pretty new user to snort I have tried my best and came up with nothing.  I looked on the web, the website,
the faqs, and anything else I could get my hands on and it didn't work.  So here goes, maybe I am just tired and
someone can point out my obvious mistake to me. :D (Praying)
  I recently got 2.0.2 up and running, it refused to enter UDP ports and port scans into the database, after much hair
pulling I decided that perhaps a new version would help. (Laughing like a mad man now, LITERALLY)
  I download, untared, and compiled 2.1.0 with the --with-mysql option.  No problem so far.  I cp'ed the rules into
/etc/snort/rules and changed the config file accordingly.  I tried to start snort, the first error message I got was as
follows :
Jan 11 05:21:41 sc2 snort: FATAL ERROR: /etc/snort/snort.conf(285) => Invalid file name for IIS Unicode Map file.
  Couldn't find much documentation on this one, it is possible that I can't see anymore from swollen eyes but I swear
to you that I could find NOTHING.
  I figured that one out and fixed on my own.  Next (Click) place that one in the exhibit A bag.
  Thinking I am rocking and rollig along to seccess, I hit another snare that just plain doesn't appear to exist for
anyone else in the world.  The dredded phrase that I have grown to memorize like one does thier birth date.
 FATAL ERROR: /etc/snort/rules//bad-traffic.rules(13) => Unknown ClassType: misc-activity
  I have read until blue in the face and can find nothing, perhaps I missed something key.
  But if you or anyone you know has any information that could solve this Un-Solved Mystery, please contact me through
the list.

   Joshua McDowell
HTTP://GEOCITIES.COM/JOSHMIA2001/

P.S. I am brand new to the list, I am Joshua :D