Snort mailing list archives

RE: Question about best hardware

From: "Kreimendahl, Chad J" <Chad.Kreimendahl () umb com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:27:36 -0600

I have yet to try MaxDB, so as far as the 100k events problem happening
with this, I can't confirm.  We currently have many many millions of
records in our archive.  Though performance isn't much of a problem on
our DB with this many, we chose to move off old data into an archive
(actually copies off realtime, so the archive is our all-time db)... And
keep the  recent stuff in a 'real-time' database that users can access
and perform complex queries through a somewhat useful web interface.

All of the performance problems we've ever run into have related
directly to the joining of many tables [>4].  Our resolution to this
problem is a table design that requires less joins, and overall doesn't
use more space.  We're currently working on (and could use help with) a
new output plugin that works with this new DB design.

Meeting time...