Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about best hardware

From: Michael Stone <mstone+snort () mathom us>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:17:47 -0500

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:31:41PM -0600, Josh Berry wrote:
I don't have a performance issue over 100K.

I have just shy of 2 million records at the moment, and from the main
Acid screen it takes 46 seconds for the "unique alerts for the last 24
hours" to load. Other complex queries (queries across the whole database
based on some search criteria) take about the same amount of time. Is
that slow or is that fast? It is certainly slow if you're trying to do a
lot of such queries interactively. OTOH, individual events load almost
instantaneously. In a discussion about performance it's really helpful
to use real numbers and to clearly state what the usage patterns and
expectations are.

Mike Stone