Snort mailing list archives

RE: flow-portscan really suitable ???

From: "Douglas McCrea" <dmccrea () rutgers edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:39:35 -0500

You can still use Portscan2 thankfully by just copying back the sections
from an old config. I have to agree here about flow-portscan. Portscan2
works nicely for me an rarely shows false positives. I still haven't
seen anything from flow-portscan besides false positives and considering
that- even when it shows the false positives, it doesn't report any
useful data (with msg or pktkludge). I've also only seen responses from
people saying, "Use pktkludge, it's in the documentation." Well, I have,
and it still doesn't produce any useful data anywhere that I can see no
matter what settings I put for anything.

My question is this... Is anyone using flow-portscan effectively and
getting results such that you can see that a system is scanning your
hosts for port 25, etc.? If so, can you post your settings for this?
Neither myself nor my colleagues who have used Snort for years have been
able to get this to work at all. We are all concerned that portscan2
will be removed, and then we will no longer be able to see any scanning
activity using Snort.

-Doug