Snort mailing list archives

flow-portscan really suitable ???

From: BIZOU <bizou () voila fr>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:09:30 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I've been working on snort 2.1.1 for a few days. I was previously with snort 2.0.5.
I had to change my portscan2 configuration into flow-portscan and ... well i dislike it
Indeed, i tuned my portscan2 preprocessor with scanner-max 256, target_max 1024, target_limit 30, port_limit 40,
timeout 40
and it was quite fine. I used portscan2-ignorehost and ignore-port too. I catched MydoomB scans, Blaster.C or B (don't
remember) scans, nmap scan....
Now with flow-portscan, i have nothing except flase positive scans
I'm managing 6 NIDS in a wide environment so i cannot define a HOME_NET or wathever defined variable

When i watched at my prelude reporting GUI this morning (i use a prelude framework for alerting) i only saw false scan
alerts. I tried to configure flow-portscan in several way, i cannot succeed in having correct results

So please,
1 - tell me that it wil be possible again to use portscan2 in future releases
2 - Tell me a way to configure correctly and simply flow-portscan (without a learning time )
3 - Tell me a way to add flow-portscan ignore port from
4 - Tell me that destination port will be present in pktkludge soon