Snort mailing list archives

Re: MySql + Snort config errors (yet again)

From: "Leonard Miller" <Leonard.Miller () udlp com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:57:23 -0600

It looks like mysql is denying the connection for snort from
192.168.1.16
I would say add permissions to mysql so snort can connect from
192.168.1.16

But I could be wrong.

"M. Morgan" <mikemorgan () mindspring com> 01/08/04 03:46PM >>>
Hello all,
 As many others have done I'm trying to setup a remote Snort sensor
that will report to a central mysql database.

I'm using:
snort + snortcenter + mysql + acid

on two boxes:
192.168.1.199 <sql server>
192.168.1.16  <remote snort>

both boxes have the following installed.
snort
snortcenter
mysql
webmin
acid
nagios

Both snort installs work fine if I direct them to log to thier local
mysql databases (localhost)

The error appears when I try and redirect the output of sensor (x.16)
to the mysql server (x.199), it is as follows:

Btw: im using the following output plugin:
output database: alert, mysql, user=snort password=sentinix
dbname=snort host=192.168.1.199 port=3306 sensor_name=[AUTO]

ERROR: database: mysql_error: Access denied for user:
'snort@192.168.1.16' (Using password: YES)
Fatal Error, Quitting..
database: compiled support for ( mysql )
database: configured to use mysql
database: user = snort
database: password is set
database: database name = snort
database: host = 192.168.1.199
database: port = 3306
database: sensor name = Ren

 I know this is a mysql access error, Ive used the webmin mysql server
plugin to try and configure the mqsql "user" and "database" permissions
every way I can think of and I still get the error.

 Ive googled it, Ive RTFM'ed it, Ive been working on it for days and Im
on a time schedule...Im getting frantic here ;)

 I know this has been done successfully but I also realize this is my
first attempt with mysql and it isnt working for me.

 I would greatly appreciate any and all help resolving this!

Thanks,
Michael