Snort mailing list archives

Re: P2P Rules and Sending TCP Resets.

From: "Josh Berry" <josh.berry () netschematics com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:33:29 -0600 (CST)

In order to use tcp-resets, you will have to build snort with
--enable-flexresp (or --enable-flexresp2).  What I would do is use
Snort-Inline at the perimeter and block it inline instead.

Hi, We're receiving a lot of complaints regarding copyright infringements
from users within our Network using P2P software. Dealing with the
complaints about P2P use is almost a full time job in itself at the
moment.

We've succesfully managed to block some applications using Cisco NBAR but
the more clued up students are configuring their P2P clients to use high
port numbers which is giving us problems with Gnutella, Fasttrack and Bit
Torrent in particular. We have managed to identify these users with Snort
running on NetBSD. I've read about TCP resets in the archives but can't
find any examples of how to implement this, can anyone help please?

Regards

Rob Ward
Network Northwest Support
University of Liverpool