Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie

From: "Josh Berry" <josh.berry () netschematics com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:25:32 -0600 (CST)

If you are monitoring the connection outside of the firewall you are going
to see tons of alerts coming from the internet, that does not mean that
they are false positives, they are just not being filtered by the
firewall.  You need to tune your ruleset for what is valid in your
environment and properly configure your $HOME_NET variable, setting
$EXTERNAL_NET to !$HOME_NET.

You are not doing anything wrong necessarily, you are always going to have
false positives, it is the nature of IDS.

I have loaded Snort 2.1.0 on a Linux Fedora box, along with mysql and
Acid.
When I place the box on a hub with my gateway router I am flooded with
alerts that can only be false positives.

What am I doing wrong?

Jim

Thanks,
Josh Berry, CISSP