Snort mailing list archives

Re: Bad Loop Back Traffic

From: Mark.Schutzmann () Omron com
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:48:28 -0600

I have also suddenly noticed that I am receiving the Bad Loop Back Traffic
alerts. This started after I updated my sigs from the Snort site on
Wednesday. Here's what I get when I issue the test command. Eth0 is a Gig
Fiber card on a c4006 in monitor mode and eth1 is a 100MB card on the same
switch, Any ideas? (aside from updating Snort...that's another story!)

[root@RHLXSnort snort]# /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i
eth0 -T
Running in IDS mode
Log directory = /var/log/snort

Initializing Network Interface eth0

        --== Initializing Snort ==--
Initializing Output Plugins!
Decoding Ethernet on interface eth0
Initializing Preprocessors!
Initializing Plug-ins!
Parsing Rules file /etc/snort/snort.conf

Initializing rule chains...
No arguments to frag2 directive, setting defaults to:
    Fragment timeout: 60 seconds
    Fragment memory cap: 4194304 bytes
    Fragment min_ttl:   0
    Fragment ttl_limit: 5
    Fragment Problems: 0
    Self preservation threshold: 500
    Self preservation period: 90
    Suspend threshold: 1000
    Suspend period: 30
Stream4 config:
    Stateful inspection: ACTIVE
    Session statistics: INACTIVE
    Session timeout: 30 seconds
    Session memory cap: 8388608 bytes
    State alerts: INACTIVE
    Evasion alerts: INACTIVE
    Scan alerts: ACTIVE
    Log Flushed Streams: INACTIVE
    MinTTL: 1
    TTL Limit: 5
    Async Link: 0
    State Protection: 0
    Self preservation threshold: 50
    Self preservation period: 90
    Suspend threshold: 200
    Suspend period: 30
Stream4_reassemble config:
    Server reassembly: INACTIVE
    Client reassembly: ACTIVE
    Reassembler alerts: ACTIVE
    Zero out flushed packets: INACTIVE
    flush_data_diff_size: 500
    Ports: 21 23 25 53 80 110 111 143 513 1433
    Emergency Ports: 21 23 25 53 80 110 111 143 513 1433
http_decode arguments:
    Unicode decoding
    IIS alternate Unicode decoding
    IIS double encoding vuln
    Flip backslash to slash
    Include additional whitespace separators
    Ports to decode http on: 80
rpc_decode arguments:
    Ports to decode RPC on: 111 32771
    alert_fragments: INACTIVE
    alert_large_fragments: ACTIVE
    alert_incomplete: ACTIVE
    alert_multiple_requests: ACTIVE
telnet_decode arguments:
    Ports to decode telnet on: 21 23 25 119
database: compiled support for ( mysql )
database: configured to use mysql
database:          user = snort
database: password is set
database: database name = snort
database:          host = OEI-RHLXSnort
database:   sensor name = 209.44.1.42
database:     sensor id = 1
database: inconsistent cid information for sid=1
          Recovering by rolling forward the cid=23189
database: schema version = 106
database: using the "log" facility
THRESHOLD: gen_id=1, sig_id=10000504, type=1, tracking=1, count=10,
seconds=30
THRESHOLD: gen_id=1, sig_id=10000505, type=1, tracking=1, count=10,
seconds=30
THRESHOLD: gen_id=1, sig_id=10000506, type=1, tracking=1, count=10,
seconds=30
THRESHOLD: gen_id=1, sig_id=100000507, type=0, tracking=0, count=1000,
seconds=300
THRESHOLD: gen_id=1, sig_id=1000508, type=1, tracking=1, count=10,
seconds=240
THRESHOLD: gen_id=1, sig_id=1000509, type=1, tracking=1, count=10,
seconds=240
1308 Snort rules read...
1308 Option Chains linked into 209 Chain Headers
0 Dynamic rules

Rule application order: ->activation->dynamic->alert->pass->log

        --== Initialization Complete ==--

-*> Snort! <*-
Version 2.0.6 (Build 100)
By Martin Roesch (roesch () sourcefire com, www.snort.org)

Snort sucessfully loaded all rules and checked all rule chains!
database: Closing connection to database "snort"
Snort exiting

                      "Scott Elgram"

                      <SElgram () verifpoint com>            To:       "SN ORT" <snort_on_acid () yahoo com>

                      Sent by:                            cc:       <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>

                      snort-users-admin () lists sour        Subject:  Re: [Snort-users] Bad Loop Back Traffic

                      ceforge.net

                      02/25/2004 05:03 PM

                      Please respond to "Scott

                      Elgram"

Actually my set-up goes like this;
    Internet connects to router, connects to hub, hub connects to firewall.
Also connected to the hub is eth0 on the SNORT machine with no IP.  A
second
card (eth1) on the SNORT machine connects to the internal network so that I
can monitor with ACID.  This setup works good, the SNORT sensor sees all
traffic coming in from the router and going out to the router.  So far the
only problem it seems to have is the Bad Loop Back Traffic

-Scott Elgram