Snort mailing list archives

OT New information about clamav

From: "Paul Schmehl" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:10:37 -0600

Normally I wouldn't post something this far off topic to the list, however I
feel an obligation to clarify some issues WRT clamav.  Recently I stated
that clamav only detected about 54% of the ITW viruses in a private test
that I have access to.  This is still true.  However, it has come to my
attention just today that the developers of clamav recently corrected a bug
that effectively disabled detection of all polymorphic viruses.  This should
*dramatically* impact the results of testing clamav against the ITW viruses,
so I have requested that the test be rerun.

I'm also happy to report that AV-Test.org, is now including clamav in their
standard testing, so comparison of results to other scanners should be
publicly available in the future.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas